Basic First Aid/AED/CPR
View Course Details
This training will equip the First Aider with a wide range of skills and knowledge so that he/she can competently look after an injured or ill person until the arrival of a more qualified person including the Cardiopulmonary resuscitation [CPR] technique and the use of an Automatic External Defibrillator [AED].
Course duration: 2 days
Upon completion of the course, each student must demonstrate that they are able to:
- Assess the situation and circumstances in order to act safely, promptly and effectively with emergencies at work.
- Use available first aid equipment, including the contents of a first aid box and AED
- Apply the cardiopulmonary resuscitation procedure on an unconscious person
- Understand the duties of the first aider, employers and the legal framework
- Maintain simple factual records on what they have done with regard to any treatment or management of an emergency
- Recognise the importance of personal hygiene in first aid procedures
- Use an AED effectively with minimum interruptions
Deal with a casualty who:
- Requires cardiopulmonary resuscitation and use of an AED
- Is unconscious (including seizures)
- Is bleeding or wounded
- Is suffering from shock
- Is suffering from an injury to bones, muscles or joints
- Has been burned or scalded
- Has an eye injury
- Has been overcome by gas or fumes
- May have been poisoned or exposed to a harmful substance
Candidates are assessed both theoretically and practically in the course of the training against the requisite course objectives.